As I told you already in the "Who I am" part, sewing is one of my greatest passions. I’ve been doing it since I have been 7 years old. Within the time the things I made became more and more complicated like Corsages or elaborate dresses and skirts. However, I think that patterns don’t have to be very complicated to look beautiful! I came up with patterns which are very easy to implement (with a tiny little bit of sewing experience). I will explain you step by step what I did and how to reach a great result! If you have any question please let me know!
This season off the shoulder shirts where all over! I saw them in the shops and thought all the time that it can not be SO hard to make them on you own! I gave it a try and the result really convinced me! This is why I decided to share it with you!
Enjoy my first sewing tutorial: How to sew an off the shoulder shirt!
What you need:
Elastic Band (the length of the band depends on your size. Put it around your shoulders and make sure that it is a bit tight that it won’t slip later)
1 m Fabric (145cm wide; I would recommend you a cotton fabric which is a bit stiff)
1. Fold the fabric that the left side (the unattractive side) is outside. Put some pins at the edges that nothing will slip out of the place later.
2. Draw the pattern on the fabric with the help of the tapeline. This is a very simple pattern which just consists out of geometric forms.
Tip: Most of the fabrics (at least in Europe) are 145cm wide. Just measure 55cm, draw a line and cut it there. Afterwards you can cut the piece where it is folded that you have 2 pieces (each 72,5cm x 55cm).
3. Now you baste the sleeves as you see it here on the picture:
4. Sew the sleeves and baste the rest of the Shirt like shown here on the picture:
5. Now you pin a tunnel on the top of the shirt for the elastic.
6. After you sewed the tunnel, you put in the elastic. Make sure to pin the end of it that it is not going in. In the end sew the two ends of the elastic band together.
7. Now seam the edges of the shirt and you are ready!